Rain leaking under frame

Old 09-03-08, 06:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Rain leaking under frame

I live in a home where the previous owner took the covered patio area and enclosed it to be part of the interior space. He did this by raising the sunken patio (with concrete) and adding a wall. This is fine and all but right out side the wall the concrete ledge (3 in. wide) is not sloped away from the house, and is infact sloped a little toward it. When it rains water will seep under the frame thus ruining my new laminate. I'll be replacing the windows/siding in that area soon and figured while I had the trim off I could fix the issue.

My thought was to use some concrete patching compound and created a slight slope from the house. Of course I would use some tyvec (or similar) to seal the house from the concrete, but my question is that a good idea, or is there an un-forseen problem I might encounter? Is there a better way to handle the problem?

Old 09-05-08, 08:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know about the tyvec part. I think some exterior sealer/caulking would be better.

Old 09-06-08, 04:47 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Leak

Install metal flashing on the outside. Place it under the siding and over the outside edge of the ledge. The wall should have been built flush with the outside edge of the ledge so the siding could cover the exterior part of the ledge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: