no tar paper, but flashing

Old 09-04-08, 12:40 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no tar paper, but flashing

My contractor replaced a roof above a small buildout in my home, and it leaks like crazy during heavy rains. While discussing how he would correct it, I learned that he didn't put down any tar paper over the plywood, but used what looks like flashing: foot-wide strips of some thin, flexible metal. Is that legit? I told him that the roof needs tar paper--but if I knew everything there was to know about roofing, I would have made the repair myself. He put the flashing down vertically, not horizontally. Should I back off, or does he need to start over? Thanks for any advice on how to handle this.

Old 09-04-08, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sounds like he used what he had on hand. With out a picture or drawing or whatever I won't comment too much.

It sounds like you are saying he put 1ft wide strips running down the slope of the roof? Flashing like that is used where the sloped roof meets the vertical part of a wall.

It should have felt paper or even better ice and water shield.

Any roofing material should overlap as it runs down the slope so that water will drain off. Bottom goes on first, then the next run, the next, the next, etc.

Kinda hard to visualize, I know. Just imagine you are a drop of water, where can you go? Not uphill normally, right? But you can go sideways by wicking action or wind. Joints of roofing should run across the slope, not up and down it.

Well, guess I did comment....hope it helps.

Old 09-06-08, 05:35 AM
M
Thanks--I think you have the picture and that answers my question. I'll ask him to start over with felt paper or the ice and water shield you mentioned.

Old 09-11-08, 04:15 PM
G
Realistically felt paper and Ice guard don't stop the roof from leaking. Felt separates the shingles from the wood and ice guard is just that it prevents ice dams from leaking.
If the roof leaks when it rains neither of these would help. Proper step flashings and metal would.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: