How to install a Tin roof?

Old 09-06-08, 08:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to install a Tin roof?

Newbe: I want to install a tin roof on my house.But do it myself.Is there some place I can find out how to do this? Do I have to remove the old ashphalt shingles? I might have to as they are curling up. What do I lay under the tin roof? someone said wood strips? What do I use for the corners where part of the roof meets another section of the roof that goes over my front porch gallery area? Pls help..Tks.John from Ont.Can.

Old 09-08-08, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Since no one else has answered yet, I'll put in what little bit I know. It would be best to remove the old shingles. You can either install the roof on 1x's strapped over the roof sheeting or directly to the plywood [covered with tar paper]

I've only installed metal roofs in straight shots and have never connected one to a valley. I know you need to use some type of flashing but I don't know what all is involved to make it leak proof.

Old 09-08-08, 12:42 PM
P
Thumbs up

I'm no expert, but we are looking to do the same thing. We were advised we could put tar paper over the existing shingles and then put the metal straight on that to eliminate any "sanding" effect on the tin.
As for the valleys, they do sell valley flashing that looks like a W. All I have found in that comes in 10' lengths.
Here's a link to a place here in Florida that has installation guides on all their products which are petty much that same products sold everywhere.

Good luck!!!

http://www.gulfcoastsupply.com/installation.htm

Old 09-15-08, 07:39 PM
Tin goes right over the sheathing. No shingles or felt. Help me on 6-10 of them and you will know how to do it yourself. Maybe. Way tooooo much to explain here.

Old 09-16-08, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Phinzup911, good reference. It does appear the best installation method is without shingles, latticed and screwed down. This seems to allow for proper air flow over the entire roof. And it isn't tin, it is enameled steel.

Old 09-17-08, 08:26 AM
G
Where ever you buy the metal you can buy the accessory pieces like valleys, rakes ridges ect..
You don't have to shim the metal unless there is no venting of the space below and you want venting.
Metal roofs leak at the details especially on low slope applications. To put it directly over the wood would be foolish in my opinion. 100% smooth surface ice and water shield over the wood is my recommendation and is what is required to get a water tight manufactures warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: