Roof anchor = leaky roof?

Old 09-09-08, 09:36 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof anchor = leaky roof?

HD and Lowes sell roofing safety harness kits that include an a roof anchor which requires removing shingles to install. If I leave the anchor in place permanently am I asking for a leak, considering that here in Western Oregon we get about 100 meters of rain per year? Maybe if I use a bunch of Henry's gooey black roof sealant it'll be ok?
I've got a steep roof and trees that leave sticky residue on the roof even after trimming, so I need to safely access the roof pretty often. Thank you.

Old 09-11-08, 03:54 PM
G
If you seal it up with a good caulk like polyurethane not roof cement under and on top it should be fine. Heres some other alternatives.
http://www.samsonind.com/anchorage_connectors.htm

Old 09-13-08, 06:35 PM
H
Thank you,

I need to nail the anchor into a roof truss.. How do I find it? After removing the ridgecap will it be easy to locate?

Old 09-13-08, 06:54 PM
G
Yes you should be able to see the truss through the plywood joint at the ridge. If not the nails in the wood will be on a truss. Plus you can tell when a nail hits the truss vs just plywood.

Old 09-15-08, 07:26 PM
Just be aware that you need to attach and un-attach the line each time you go up there. You can't leave the line attached.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: