shingle stops and fastened right at roof edge?

Old 09-15-08, 12:23 PM
Z
Received 39 Votes on 38 Posts
shingle stops and fastened right at roof edge?

My sister asked me to look at one of her rain gutters yesterday since she was getting water coming down off the roof falling behind the gutter and down the side of the house. She thought the gutter had pulled away and I told her I thought it might be just that a gutter spike came loose or something. (I donít know diddly about roofs but I nailed some of my gutter spikes back in already).

Too bad we waited till dark and the ladder I had was a little short. But as far as I could tell there was no shingle overlap Ė or any other kind of overlap - over the gutter. And it didnít seem as though the gutter had pulled away or if it has it must be by a very small amount. Shouldnít there be a shingle overhang or a drip-edge over the gutter?

What seems worse to me (and I hope possibly Iím wrong ,it was dark) - it really seemed like the last row of shingles not only came exactly even with the edge of the roof, but they felt as though they were nailed or glued down or something right at the edge, and thus you wouldnít be able to slip something under them (wouldnít that be where the drip-edge goes to correct the problem?)

But she lives in a townhouse and I know the builder did some pretty bad work in other areas. Does anyone know of cases where the last row of shingles would be nailed or glued right at the roof edge for some reason? Is that normal? Or if they are does that mean we are up a creek?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-15-08, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like 1 3/8" overhang. I'll get bashed for that, but that's life. When I use DE, I like 1" over it.

Old 09-16-08, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sometimes it isn't totally the roofer's fault. Roofing is generally installed prior to the finish framing and trim. Framers who don't leave enough overhang of the sheathing to allow for adequate fascia boards can be at fault, leaving things a bit short when the fascia is applied. I agree with tinner in leaving a fairly good overhang, but definitely with a drip edge to support the end of the shingle and provide a drainage that helps prevent capillary water movement back under the shingles.

Old 09-16-08, 05:54 PM
Z
Received 39 Votes on 38 Posts
Thanks guys Ė

She definitely has zero overhang! And if I understand chandler correctly I see why a drip edge would also provide support under the end of the shingle.

I just looked closely at my roof to see what you guys are talking about and lo and behold I now see something I never noticed before Ė my shingle is in fact on top of a piece of metal ( I guess the drip edge) and the shingle is exactly even with the metal edge and they hang over one inch exactly.

When I take a look at her problem in the daylight Iím hoping the ends of her shingles arenít really nailed or glued down. But I guess thatís irrelevant. I think I get the picture now Ė the drip edge is something you put on BEFORE the shingles ,not something that could be put under them now, and anyway the drip edge is put on even with the end of the shingle and really doesnít extend it.

And I guess if I understand correctly the real problem would seem to be (or could possibly be) that not enough overhang of the sheathing was allowed leaving things short.

My sister said it didnít leak before so I think Iíll just try to make sure the gutter is flush as possible to the house. But if it still leaks Iíll try to put some caulk behind the gutter. I read something lately (canít remember where) where someone used caulk and it worked for a while anyway. (But I think it involved a dispute between a homeowner and a contractor and the contractor was caulking as the fix.)

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: