36 Year Old Roof- Time to replace?

Old 09-17-08, 07:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
36 Year Old Roof- Time to replace?

I have a 50ft split level house built in 1973 with the original roof. There are a few shingles on the edge of the roof with some very minor curling. I have no leaks and have inspected the inside of the attic and cannot detect any leaks there either. Am I really pushing my luck trying to get another year or two out of this roof??

I plan on replacing the fascia as there are a few sections that have rotted, other than that, I have had zero issues. Any opinions on gutters, I believe the gutters may have contributed to the fascia rot.

Appreciate any feedback..

Thanks..

Old 10-13-08, 09:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dear Ray77,

Congratulations on getting that much life out of a shingle roof.

The fact that you don't have pressing leak problems also puts you in a good position to get a good deal on a new roof. If I were you I would try to find out when the slowest months are for roofers in your area. That usually corresponds to the dryest months. During that time, you stand to get the best price.

As far as gutters go, I think they are useful for certain areas, such as over an entryway, but they can also do more harm than good. They get clogged up with leaves and ice dams, rotting the fascia board, as you have discovered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: