How much for 4400 sqft Roof Replacement?

Old 09-17-08, 07:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much for 4400 sqft Roof Replacement?

I have recieved two quotes for a complete tearoff with new decking, venting, membrane, and 30yr arch shingles. The first quote (no new decking) came in at $15k the second (with new decking) at $27k. I know prices vary by region, (Iam in upstate NY), but these numbers seem high. Does anyone have a feel for how much this type of job should cost - essentially a low profile hip roof ? My father found some skilled migrant say they can do the work if I provide the supplies. I would do this if I wasn't concerned about liability

Old 09-17-08, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
44 squares is a huge roof! are you sure that is the actual area of your roof?

$350 per square would not surprise me for an estimate. But the 2nd estimate is way out of line if they only added new sheathing to the mix.

I would highly doubt you need new sheathing anyway. I'd ask for more bids that are similar to the first one. The price of shingles has increased recently, so while $350 for tearoff and replacement may have sounded high a couple years ago, it's probably about right since it sounds like you are getting a good quality shingle.

Old 09-18-08, 03:26 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
XSleeper

Thanks for the reply.

The roofer with the high price went up and measured in detail and said the number was 44. I estimated more like 3500 just for roof area and did not aacount for regions where the shingles woul have to be doubled along the rig, hip, and edge. So he could be right. I estiamte the material cost for shingles at $3300 ($75/square) and plywood at about the same $3300. The house is old and only has wood slats in the attic to tie the roof to the rafters. So I think it needs the decking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: