Starter course HELP!

Old 09-19-08, 07:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starter course HELP!

Hi,
I am doing an overlay on my house with Pabco 30 yr arch. shingles. There is one layer of existing three tabs that are really in pretty good shape. I've trimed the old shingles back and installed new drip edge and went out to begin the starter course.
My questions....

How far over the drip edge is good to overhang?

Also, in order to use the existing shingles as a guide, i'll have to trim the first course about two inches. Is this normal? Will it look too weird for the bottom course near the gutter to have a 3 inch reveal? i've never encountered this problem, but i've only roofed three houses...

thanks for your help.. http://forum.doityourself.com/images/smilies/wall.gif

Old 09-22-08, 11:02 AM
C
Why not do a complete tear off? I've never done an overlay so I can't answer your question. I would assume you just shouldn't use the old shingles as a guide though.

Old 09-25-08, 04:11 AM
The 8" starters should go 1" to 1-1/4" past the DE. By re-roofing, expect to repeat the process every few years. Lay-over roofs have very short life-cycles. 8-10 years if you use a real good shingle. Less with 3-tabs.

Old 09-26-08, 10:28 PM
J
Shingle Layover Tips

Dear Massey,

Before drip edge, it was pretty common to have a shingle overhang of an inch or so to make sure the water makes it into the gutter or onto the fascia board.

Drip edge pretty much eliminates the problem. As such, little or no overhang is required to make the edge detail watertight. I usually set my shingles flush to the edge. GAF-ELK and Certainteed recommend a quarter inch overhang.

You noted that the first course of the layover will be narrower than the rest. That's normal and a sign it was done properly.

Also, it's normal to butt the top edge of the new shingles against the bottom edge of the old shingles. That's called "nesting" and helps the new layer of shingles lay as flat as possible.

In order for that to work out properly, the new shingles and the old shingles should have the same exposure.

Good luck with your project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: