flat roof leak, condo building

Old 09-21-08, 04:08 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question flat roof leak, condo building

Hi all-

I'm on the board of a 22 unit self managed condo. We have a 4 year old rubber roof (part of a gut rehab) that leaked into a few top floor units after some really heavy rains.

The installer came out and noted that some water got past the flashing and underneath the membrane, then travelled into the leaky units. He claims this is because the masonry and limestone caps got saturated and that's how the water got past the flashing.

I don't doubt his claim, but we're looking to resolve the situation so that we don't experience more water damage in the future.

The drainage seems to be working fine, though I haven't seen it from the roof during really rainy weather.

No offense intended with this, but if not sealing the masonry comprimises the roof as a system, shouldn't that still be part of the roofer's installation?

I.E. if we had a chimney that leaked because water got past the flashing, who should we call- a mason, or a roofer?

Finally, is there a best way to seal the masonry and limestone? How long should such a sealant last?

Thanks very much!

Old 09-22-08, 09:31 PM
G
First Id do a leak test with a garden hose. Start low then every half hour move up a little to eliminate the roof as the problem.
If you don't get any leaks call a mason.
Roofers don't, shouldn't and most of the time cant cover all masonry. It should be sealed or have a membrane behind it with weep holes above the roof flashings.

Old 09-22-08, 11:36 PM
W
Thanks much GMAN, will check for weep holes, etc.

leak test is a good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: