Installation of roll roofing

Old 09-23-08, 10:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installation of roll roofing

I have the back section of a garage that has shingles now and has been fine for the past 10 years but now needs to be replaced as it is leaking in several spots and the shingles are falling apart. It is a section about 7' wide by 14' long isolated from the main roof and it is a fairly low slope. I will be ripping the old shingles off and installing either roll roofing or shingles. My question is which would be easier to install. I never put rolled roofing down but is it just installing tar paper and then rolling the material out and fastening? Also, how does it get fastened down, nailing or adhesive. Any other tips? Thanks for the help

Old 09-25-08, 08:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I helped someone do one of those and he did what's called a "torch down". He had a tank about the size of the tanks used for BBQs. He heated the seams.

He told me it was highly illegal in the area where we were working but I wouldn't have known that otherwise.

Old 09-25-08, 10:41 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Roofing failure in 10 years!?! Do you not have any roof/soffit ventilation. Heat has likely been cooking the shingles. Rolled roofing or asphalt shingles will have a short life if ventilation is inadequate. Temps can reach nearly 200 degrees.

Compare warranties of rolled roofing and asphalt shingles. Both tend to come in varying levels of quality, warranty, and price. Do your homework. Rolled roofing can be installed on low-slope roofs and is not recommended on flat roofs. Whether installing rolled roofing or asphalt shingles, follow manufacturer's installation instructions.

Old 09-28-08, 07:38 PM
G
Get a roll of modified bitumen and remove the old roof, nail down a base sheet and put the modbit down in cold adhesive and a squeegee.
It should cost under $300 and will last a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: