Will new asphalt shingles eventually lie flat?

Old 10-02-08, 06:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will new asphalt shingles eventually lie flat?

We just had a shed built in our yard, and they put asphalt shingles on the roof. I have noticed that the shingles are not totally flat. They tend to bow up slightly (about 1/4") in the center of a typical 1 1/2 foot piece. They are a type of architectural shingle, though not especially heavy or thick. I thought there were nails underneath that were pushing them up, but there is nothing. When I push them down, they go flat, but when I take my hand off, they pop up again. With the sun, etc, will they eventually lie flat? It is most noticeabale on the ridge where some of the shingles are sticking up a fair amount. It is getting cooler here in CT, but we should definitely have a few more warm days with direct sun. Thanks.
Dave

Old 10-02-08, 08:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My friend had a roof put on about 3 years ago. He had the same problem you have. It took almost a year for them to lie flat. Living in south Texas, helps with adding some heat to them..lol
He said it was from the roofers trying to keep the shingles straight, after they started to get a little off.

Travis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: