Re-Roof questions

Old 10-06-08, 07:06 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-Roof questions

several questions on a re-roof

I am looking at the 30 yr architectural type shingles.

these brands-Certainteed(Landmark series).GAF/Elk(Prestique HD 30 series,Tamko(Heritage series)

any problem with any of these? if so, be specfic.

on Ridge vents, are there different types and if so, what type is preferred?

I have squirrels that frequent my roof. are there different type material for these vent pipes that are not susceptible for squirrels to eat?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 10-12-08, 10:48 AM
T
no advice, opinions, suggestions from experts or homeowners?

I would appreciate any replies.

TD

Old 10-12-08, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Hmmm Tiger....I don't remember seeing this for some reason, and I normally see all the new posts.

I haven't seen too many of the roofing Pro's on here lately, must be busy busy.

I'm sure some of the other guys that have done roofing will post. No expert here, so really can't say.

Old 10-12-08, 06:01 PM
J
Roofing Choices

Dear TigerDunes,

All of the shingle brands you mentioned are good, but my preference is GAF/ELK. They're the biggest and have been at it for over a hundred years. Just be sure to get fiberglass shingles rather than organic. Also get ones that are fungus resistant, if fungus and algae are a problem in your area.

There are several types of ridge vents, but my preference is aluminum. But it comes in two grades. Try to get the heavier duty type.

The best boot for your plumbing vent pipes is lead. It's the only one that will last as long as your shingles. All of the ones that have a neoprene collar around the pipe tend to leak after several years in the sun. You can also use a lead boot at your electric mast. Just split the downhill side, wrap it around the pipe, secure it with a stainless steel hose clamp and seal the seam with a good grade of caulk.

The only problem with the lead boots is that the squirrels like to chew on them for some reason. To prevent that, cover the boot with a wire cage. That will also prevent tree frogs from ending up in the toilet and scaring the Mrs. half to death!

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: