Flashing along roof/2nd floor intersection

Old 10-07-08, 12:05 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing along roof/2nd floor intersection

My roof is currently leaking. Where my 1st story meets my second story there is aluminum siding and roof. When they installed the roof along this intersection they never lifted the siding and installed flashing - I guess because it would have been a big hassle. Instead they used caulking. The caulking has since worn away and now the roof is leaking. Do you think I should just recaulk it at this point or use some sort of flashing. It will be impossible to get the flashing underneath of the siding. Is there flashing that attaches to siding? It will probably not look good though.

Can anyone give me some advice? Please?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-08, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by orangecrush007 View Post
My roof is currently leaking. Where my 1st story meets my second story there is aluminum siding and roof. When they installed the roof along this intersection they never lifted the siding and installed flashing - I guess because it would have been a big hassle. Instead they used caulking. The caulking has since worn away and now the roof is leaking. Do you think I should just recaulk it at this point or use some sort of flashing. It will be impossible to get the flashing underneath of the siding. Is there flashing that attaches to siding? It will probably not look good though.

Can anyone give me some advice? Please?

Thanks!
if you don't get the flashing under the sideing properly you will never permantly stop the water. it will always come in after the caulk dries and starts to seperate from weathering.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 10-08-08, 02:54 PM
Step flashing behind the siding is the only thing that will work.

Caulk just keeps the area damp and rots a LOT of wood before it becomes visible.

Old 10-08-08, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 945 Votes on 863 Posts
Layers upon layers of siding are a pain in the you know what when it comes to flashing things correctly. I'm guessing you have aluminum siding over the top of existing clapboard or other original layers of siding.

By all rights, the upper leg of any flashing should go behind a WRB (a weather resistant barrier like Tyvek) which means not just behind the aluminum siding. If the step flashing is behind the siding but on top of the WRB it will work IF no water gets behind the siding... but that's a big "if". In your case it might be better than nothing (caulk) But putting it behind the WRB is a little safer method if you don't want a roof leak.

(If there is no WRB behind the aluminum siding, then you usually try to get it behind the original layer of siding.)

In some cases the siding has been placed too close to the roof to get a decent flashing in place. I've seen some roofers take a skilsaw and cut the siding 2" up from the roofline just so they can get the flashing in there correctly. So that's one idea that would enable you to do the stepflashing right, without having to tear off all the old siding.

Of course then you have to cap the bottom of the aluminum siding somehow (also a pain) which means a new j-channel that will be screwed or riveted to the bottom edge of the siding wherever possible.

If there isn't a LOT of siding, your best bet would be to start at the top and take it down, keeping track of what piece went where. Then flash your roof correctly, apply a WRB as needed, and put the siding back up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: