Downspouts

Old 10-12-08, 03:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspouts

We just finished putting up vinyl gutters. The job is complete but as often happens with these things one glaring detail escaped me. The new downspouts are rectangular and the old ones were round. All the dry wells are of course round as well. I already had everything bought and delivered when the lights came on at the end of the first run. Is there a painless way to put a square (sort of) peg into a round hole? The downspouts are 2"x3" and the pipes at the dry wells are 4" reduced to
2 1/4" I would prefer to go directly to the existing pipe rather than getting rid of the reducer because two of these are in concrete and set flush with the surface.

Old 10-12-08, 07:54 PM
R
You can solve this problem in a hundred different ways, as long as you follow the principle that upper goes in to lower

What i mean by that is the top piece fits inside the lower piece, that way water won't flow outside the seams.
My solution to this would be to go to any local aluminum eavestrough company and ask for a small piece of scrap downspout around 5". If they're decent people they won't charge you anything, and you should be able to bend this by hand to fit inside your old pipe. You'd be surprised how much you can crush these pipe.

Hold it with a screw, and you should be set.

Just remember:

a crude picture, but you can see how water won't escape because of gravity. You don't need to use an actual piece of downspout, just anything that won't corrode and has some visual appeal

Old 10-15-08, 06:39 PM
H
I appreciate it Rob.

Thanks for the reply. I will start hunting materials down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: