re-roof or tear off

Old 10-14-08, 03:45 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re-roof or tear off

I have been living at my house now for about 5 months. Not sure exactly how old the roof is but it looks very old. I have already had a couple of minor repairs done to it. The shingles that are on are 3 tab and only one layer. I was thinking about getting only a re-roof. Is it a good idea to get a re-roof or to tear it off completely? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 10-14-08, 05:21 PM
C
Received 349 Upvotes on 292 Posts
I would tear it off for a couple of reasons. The finished roof will look better and you will have an opportunity to inspect the condition of the roof sheathing.

It might cost a bit more but you could do the tear off yourself.

Old 10-14-08, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Old 10-15-08, 12:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reroofs, Roofovers, Rips, Tearoffs and Layovers

Dear Luis,

The other posters and threads give you a pretty good run down on your options, and I can't add much to that discussion.

All I want to mention is there's some inconsistency in the term "reroof". In some parts of the country (like where I live) it means tearing off the old roof and installing a new one. I other places, it means installing another layer over the top (we call that a roofover).

I even have two versions of the NRCA Manual (The "Bible" of our industry) which has it one way in one and the other way in the other.

It doesn't really matter what it's called, as long as everybody involved with the job is on the same page.

Good luck with your project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: