Replace ONE Shingle ?

Old 10-21-08, 08:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace ONE Shingle ?

I have one damaged composite shingle. How do I remove and replace without breaking the shingles around it?

Old 10-31-08, 01:17 PM
G
Very carefully with a flat bar.

Old 10-31-08, 01:23 PM
J
Thumbs up

Thanks. I did it already....very carefully and with a long flat bar, but it was frustrating. Broke more shingles and had to replace 5 when I started out needing to do 2. Its getting the nails hammered back in that was the hardest part. I'm sure practice is the key, but I sure wish I knew some great time for not breaking shingles. I did learn that it goes much better when it is very warm because the shingles are less brittle.

Old 10-31-08, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It doesn't get mentioned here often, but a shingle ripper is a great tool. You can use it to take the nails out AND to put the nails back in if yer careful. I'm sure the experts don't need 'em, but, as a DIY'r, I'd rather have that than a prybar in any form for replacing 1 or 2 shingles.

Just search for "shingle ripper"

Old 11-03-08, 07:41 AM
J
Looked for a "shingle ripper" at "orange depot" and "blue depot", but neither had them. Did find it on line (made by Lasko) for about $25 after shipping. Looks like a good tool. I ordered one and hope I never need it again. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-03-08, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Odd...I got mine at the Blue Box for around $16-18 IIRC, but that was a few years ago. Prices have probably gone up, and maybe they didn't sell that well.

btw mine is a Dasco Pro...prob the same one...I think Lasko makes showers don't they? lol

Old 11-04-08, 09:37 AM
J
Yes, my bad, it is a Dasco not a Lasko. Replaced a shower head last week too....... GI2

I went to 2 BeLowes and couldn't find at either one so I asked and they apparently don't carry them any longer. Didn't have it on their web site either. Price is about the same as yours, but had to pay for shipping too when I ordered mine on the net.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: