OK for Asphalt Single Roof Repair this Fall Temperatures?

Old 10-26-08, 09:42 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question OK for Asphalt Single Roof Repair this Fall Temperatures?

I need to have the asphalt shingle roof repair near an adjacent wall that requires step flashing, where the old flashing has leaked. Temperatures reach a max of the 50-60s during the day and may going into the 30s a night this week. Is this too cold to allow the shingle to seal properly? Also, the roof presently has tongue and groove sheathing which has become spongy in the area where the leak was. Is a good repair to replace this with plywood or should this be replaced with the tongue and groove?

Old 10-27-08, 09:18 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Yes I think the weather is ok to do the repair. The plywood can be used also as long as it is exterior grade plywood and the same thickness as the boards. This is done all the time. The roofers can always add additional tar to the shingles to speed the sealing of the roof. If the area gets lots of sunlight and not much wind the shingles should seal within 2 days without the extra tar. The heat melts the tar strips on the shingles so it bonds to the back of the shingle above it. Adding tar beside these strips eliminates the melting process and makes the process faster. An asphalt shingle in the sun gets lots warmer than the air temp.

Old 10-27-08, 12:47 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I asked the roofer about exterior grade plywood, he said he found it hasn't found a difference in the work he has done. This doesn't sound right to me. This area of the roof will not get much sun because it is in the shadow area of the adjacent wall. But I would guess the extra tar should help it seal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: