new roof metal vs.shingle

Old 10-29-08, 10:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new roof metal vs.shingle

I will be installing a new roof on my detached garage in the next several months. Presently has two layers of shingles and is leaking in a few spots so some new plywood will be in store and a complete tear off. My question is which is cheaper and easier to install as I will be doing it myself. Unfortunately I need to do this in order to sell the house at it currently looks looks in bad shape. Each side of the roof is abot 20' long by 9' high. I have never done a roof myself before so this will be a first. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not a Pro, but I'm thinking shingles would probably be easier, cheaper and more forgiving. Getting the bundles to the roof is the hard part, but once they're up, you can move pretty quickly. A helper (even unskilled) can be nice, to make sure you have what you need close at hand.

My first shingle job was a 14 x 10 shed with a 45 degree pitch on the roof and I finished almost all of the shingles in one day.

A 'Net search for "installing shingles" will give you all the steps at multiple sites.

JMO