Roofing Question

Old 10-30-08, 03:49 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing Question

I called a roofing company for a leak, and while he was over, he said the shingles along the top ridge (I think he called them capstones) were deteriorated and needed to be replaced. So I began getting quotes from a few companies for that as well. Two companies said the ridge was deteriorated and should be replaced, but the third company said the shingles along the ridge are purely aesthetic and would not cause a leak even if they were deteriorated. I don't want to spend the money to fix something that isn't going to cause problems so if the third guy is correc then I would rather not replace it. Is he correct . . . are the shingles on the ridge purely aesthetic?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-08, 01:14 PM
G
Usually they are part of the water proofing and would leak without them. If the underlayments and shingles were all ran over the ridge then it may not leak but you cant be sure without ripping the cap off.
Unless there's a ridge vent of some kind then it may be different.

Old 10-31-08, 02:57 PM
D
What gman said and;

Assuming these are asphalt shingle ridges, they should be lapped so as to have a double layer of shingle. Deteriorated surface ridges should be no problem. I would save your money to replace the whole roof in the near future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: