Problem Securing Gutter

Old 11-09-08, 08:08 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem Securing Gutter

The fascia board has pulled away from the rafter tails in the mid-section of the gutter and only the two ends are fastened to hold the gutter. I have installed hanger brackets but they will not draw the gutter tight to the rafter tails . All bracket are aligned with the rafter tails. The spikes were removed from the old installation, but I am guessing the nails from the fascia board are sticking out and will not drive in with the hanger screw. This leaves a 1 inch gap between the rafter tail and fascia. I also tried backing out the hanger and hammering the back side of gutter using a block of wood as a spacer. It is a 28 foot span on the 2 story and I access from the first story roof. Is there a way to drive the the fascia flush without removing the gutter?

Old 11-09-08, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Don'T know if you can find one if not make one. Its called a nail shoot. very small pipe with a steel rod in it say about 10" long . this way you put a nail in it and you can hammer the nail in .Through the gutter and into the rafter tail. Or cut the old nails out first by saw or bolt cutter. Then put new ones in through the gutter

Old 11-10-08, 07:41 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Nail Shoot sounds great. But on this gutter I can't see where the original fascia nails are, so I can't drive them. Cutting them off sounds like a good idea. Should I get to them by removing the trim and soffit ( they are aluminum and vinyl)? If I cut off the nails, should I drive new nails or just use the hanger bracket screws to hold the fascia board?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: