wet ceiling

Old 11-11-08, 09:06 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wet ceiling

We are currently having our roof replaced by a licensed individual. He got only half of the roof tar papered before the rain came (it poured for 2 hours before he got the tarps down). We had major leaking on that side of the house - water coming through chandelier, vents and some dripping through ceiling. Once covered the leaking stopped with little evidence of spots on the ceiling. We put fans in the attic and he removed some of the wet insulation. It continually rained for 3 days but with no more spots inside. He has now finished tar papering and started shingles on that side of house. They have been in place for 2 or 3 days while he is doing some other repairs. Now this morning I discovered new wet areas on the ceiling in the dining room and a bed room where there had previously only been a few small spots. The new areas look like faintly wet stains that are creeping inward from the edge where the ceiling meets the outside wall. There hasn't been recent rain. Could the new spots be from wet insulation or what?

Old 11-11-08, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Drywall can hold water for long periods of time. You are probably noticing water that is finally soaking through the drywall after sitting there for several days. I'd be removing all the insulation that got wet, if I were you.

Your roofing contractor is pretty irresponsible for allowing the roof to leak and not having tarps ready. Hopefully he has insurance to pay for a new ceiling and paint job, if it comes to that.

Old 11-11-08, 03:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Definitely show this to your roofer right away. Some pictures wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 11-11-08, 04:28 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Someone should have checked the weather forecast. Roofers typically keep a keen eye on the forecast to prevent interior water damage caused from unexpected storms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: