Does anyone know how to temp. repair rotted eves?

Old 11-25-08, 11:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Does anyone know how to temp. repair rotted eves?

I have rot on the boards that stick out from the house roof and one of the boards that sit on top of them (the last board, which runs lenght-wise to the house). See the picture for details. I cant fix this myself but want to do a temp. fix so it doesn't get worse. Can anybody tell me what I can do. I am in the process of painting the back and the eves and want to fix it before I paint.

Thank you
Donna

Last edited by donnatahoe; 11-25-08 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 11-25-08, 12:05 PM
D
Picture for Temp repair of eve rot

I dont know how to add picure to my post. I clicked on the icon to add picture and it put the url in the ad. The picture is at Flickr.com and is called donna eve damage. Sorry, I dont know why it didnt appear here.

Old 11-25-08, 01:11 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Photo

Go to your photo on Flickr and copy the web address and paste the address here in your post. Then we can access to see the photo.

Old 11-25-08, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
NO picture by that name on Flickr. Maybe thats the problem.

Anyway, the way to stop further damage is to figure out where the water or moisture is coming from and stop it. Pointless trying to repair rotted wood if there is still a water problem.

Old 11-25-08, 04:04 PM
D
Web Address for Picture

The picture is at Flickr.com. I did copy and paste it here originally but it showed up as a box with an X in it. The actual link is url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32776372@N06/3059552842/]IMG_8707 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/url
(I just tried it and the photo appeared). I hope that helps.
To the reply that I need to find out where the leak is, the roof has no gutter, the rain water rolls off the roof, could this be the cause of the damage? Thank you for the help.
UPDATE:
This is crazy, I just copied and pasted the url into this message, when I sent it it changed my url to only show last letter (img_8707). I will try to type it in myself to see if that works, if not I am out of quesses. here goes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32776372@n06/3059552842/

Old 11-26-08, 12:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its hard to tell from your pictures what the slope is and how the roof edge is trimmed. But it should have a metal drip edge on it that keeps the water from getting back under on the boards. The problem may be as simple as installing drip edging back under the starter course of shingles or it may be as serious as a poorly applied roof which needs replacement. Where is this located?

Old 11-26-08, 07:03 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof Repair

"I have rot on the boards that stick out from the house roof".
These are called rafters.

"one of the boards that sit on top of them (the last board, which runs lenght-wise to the house)"
These are called roof sheathing boards.

You will need to remove the roofing covering the sheathing board, replace the board, and then replace the removed roofing.

The only fix I can think of for the rafters is to sister a section of new wood alongside the damaged rafter section. It will not be pretty, but it will hold for now. The permanent fix is to remove roof, sheathing boards, and damaged rafter(s) and replace damaged wood. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-26-08, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile roof rot!

Wirepuller is right in the correct way to repair but you must find and repair the problem before even a temp. patch job will be effective. If you don't have time to fix it right, when will you have time to do it over???

Old 11-29-08, 04:05 AM
TEMPORARY ONLY-BUY ROLLED ALUMINUM 6" WIDE,and slide it up under the shingles sothe water drains away from the edge--usually we would add a fascia board and drip edge,if the rafter is more than just paint damaged we would sister a 2x4 to one side for strength-if you need to replace the rafter-wirepuller stated the correct way-if the ceiling is cathedral/vaulted you`ll need to take extra care not to damage sheetrock,and you will have to spackle nail holes from where the sheetrock is nailed to the other side of those same rafters-in those cases,sistering the rafter may be best

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: