Flat roof related questions

Old 12-06-08, 05:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flat roof related questions

Hi all!

I noticed a leak in the tar and gravel roof last winter. I had a roofer do the repairs. it didnt help . but then in spring and summer i had no leaks despite lot of rain. I assumed that the leak may have been fixed somehow. But recenlty the roof has started leaking again. I noticed that the gutter is tilted towards the fascia board. my personal hunch is that this is the problem.

I do, however, want to replace the roof anyway. it is about 10'x20' and basically covers a room addition. it is dark and i would like to add a skylight.

I have contacted 2 roofers so far. One recommended using finlastic instead of rubber roof. he said he will remove as much of gravel as he can and then reroof.

ogther roofer said that he will install a recovery board on top of the current roof without removing anything and then use rubber. he was against using a skylight in a flat roof.

My questions are :

-Does anyone have experience with Finlastic ( from certainteed). Is it comparable to rubber in results,=.
- is placing a skulight on a flat roof a good idea. I am planning to put a high end Velux skylight with remote and electronic glass. I know they make these for flat roofs.
-is this a good time to put a roof. what should be the minimum temperatue
-what should i expect to spend on a roof of this size(rhode island)
- what specific questions should i ask the roofer vis a vis rubber/finlastic roof

thanks

Christy

Old 12-09-08, 02:53 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flat Roof related questions

Hi, There is a product that I like that is easy to use, environmentally friendly, that works well with a skylight. It is an American product but you can see examples at durapurecoatings.ca The manufacturer is at durapurecoatings.com and the product is Mirrorseal. It is a fabric reinforced membrane. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: