roof leaking in multiple places: root cause investigation

Old 12-07-08, 07:18 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof leaking in multiple places: root cause investigation

Hi,

We bought our home about 3 1/2 years ago.

I went into the attic last week to investigate an unrelated issue.

I saw that the chip board is very wet (but not dripping) in 3 locations.

location 1: 2 by 2 feet
location 2: 4 by 4 feet
location 3: 2 by 3 feet
approximately.

I discovered this on a day when it had been raining all day.
A week later (no rain, and below 0 degrees celius) I went back up and all 3 places completely dry.

I went on the roof today and using my finger nails pulled up a
shingle where I knew the problem was. I saw the chipboard beneath the seams (the little slits : 3 to a shingle sheet) I saw the chipboard beneath 3 seams in 3 different shingles in the same location.

I have never shingled before but my understanding is use should not be able to see your plywood or chipboard underneath a pulled up shingle?

Can this be the root cause of my wet roof locations?

The roof was re shingled about 10 years ago.
Did the roofer not offset the seams correctly in these locations?

Can I fix this without redoing the whole roof (peaked roof, one location on each of 3 of the 4 sides)

Please advise.

Old 12-08-08, 08:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's definitely the cause of your leak. No, you shouldn't see the plywood at all. You have 2 other choices without redoing the entire roof. Buy some shingles from Home Cheapo and install them making sure that the shingles above overlap the row below it and/or use some roofing tar over the affected areas.

Old 12-08-08, 09:09 AM
H
Gracias Pulpo,

Do you mean fill in the seams with tar or put tar right over top of the shingles?

If it does'nt mean reshingling, then shingles will be good for another 10 years. I will likely sell the house and move before then. I just don't want to do a patch job that will scream to the home inspector, this roof is in poor condition and needs redone before it is sold. Putting on more shingles for a second layer may do cause a red light as well.

Gracias

Old 12-08-08, 02:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's the thing. You don't put the shingles on as a second layer. If the existing shingles aren't too brittle, you slip them under the row above and make sure you nail under that row too. If you can't put some caulking on the exposed nails. Blend them as best you can. The thing that screams to the inspecter is stained ceilings inside the house.
A guy I used to do work for, bought a 1.2 Million dollar home with a bad roof so I wouldn't worry about not making sale because of the roof.

With the tar, you seal whatever gaps you see. Some of it will be on top of the shingles but that's ok. BTW, that tar is messy. Use throw away, putty knives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: