Is this water damage?

Old 12-07-08, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this water damage?

Hello!

I had shingles around two vents repaired on the backside of my roof in October. My house and roof are only five years old. Now I have what appears to be water damage in my bonus room, which is on the front side. There are puckers and cracking along where wall and ceiling meet. Does this look like water damage to you? Do I need to get the roofers back out here, or is something else going on? I'm going to try to add links to photos. Thanks in advance from a frustrated new homeowner.

Debbie

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...gdamage002.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...gdamage004.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 03:07 AM
That doesn't look like water damage to me. It looks like who ever did the joint compound did not put enough on it and the tape is starting to lift up.

Old 12-08-08, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Welcome to the forums Debbie!

Hard to say for sure. I don't see any stains normally associated with water leaks but it is possible that some water got behind the tape and compromised the joint compound. Is the attic accesible? You would want to look for stains on the rafters and/or roof decking. Don't look just above the affected area - water leaks can travel a long way via the roof framing.

But as noted above, it might just be where the dryall finisher didn't do a great job. To fix, you need to remove the loose tape, remud and tape, finish and texture.

Old 12-08-08, 10:44 PM
No access

I did look in the attic, but I only have a small floored area and didn't want to risk falling through the rafters, as the bonus room is way on the other side and around a corner from my floored area (of course)! Since the roofers did inspect the entire roof, I think I will assume it just wasn't finished properly and repair it. Thank you so much for your help. I love this site!