Roof Leaking need advise

Old 12-15-08, 12:14 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof Leaking need advise

Hello,
I purchased a townhouse this past may. it was built new June '07. (so warranty is expired). We have had several roof leaks over this past summer. The developer has attempted to patch the area around the chimney with new shingles, sealant and flashing several times. We still have leaks. The Developer and the roofer they hired to build it originally are coming tomorrow to take another look. I'm worried that they will just put a bandaid on it rather than fix it properly.

we think the water is coming in around the flashing on the chimney, but it could also be coming in at another transition on the roof.

Can anyone offer some advice for what questions I should be asking? I'm not a DIY'er, but thought you guys might be able to help?

Thanks.

Old 12-15-08, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Their are some Pro Roofers that visit, but they have been a little infrequent in their visits lately. I'll give my $.02. I'm sure an expert will be around soon.

You are probably absolutely right in your assessment. They may try to bandaid it for a year or 2, then say it's not their problem anymore. I'm kinda surprised they are doing anything, unless it was first reported during the warranty period.

Chimneys at the bottom of a sloped roof are one of the worst places for leaks. Especially if there is "cricket" required, but not installed. A cricket is basically a triangle shaped area that slopes to both side of a chimney to direct water around the sides. Here is an example about 1/2 way down the page.....

Flashing for a New Roof

There should be ice and water shield installed in valleys, or it should be flashed with other proven methods.

Sealants are no substitute for doing it correctly. Mechanical flashing methods do not depend on chemicals, it uses the physics of water to keep rain out of the interior.

Old 12-15-08, 01:00 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Gunguy45.
The chimney is at the top. Here's a link to a photo of the townhouse. mine is "The Washington" at the far right of the photo. Originally we thought the water was coming in at the chimney, but now I'm starting to wonder if its coming in throught the point where the roof line changes opposite the chimney. It usually leaks more in a wind driven rain.

here's the site, hopefully the link works.

Country Walk at Windsor, CT - Elevations and Layouts

Old 12-15-08, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah, sounds like improper or inadequate flashing to me. Guess it could be something with the siding as well.

As I said, hopefully a pro will weigh in.

Old 12-15-08, 01:54 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on Roof Leak Repair

Mis-posted - Edit - ********************************

Old 12-16-08, 04:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SEEMS LIKE YOUR FLASHING DETAILS WEREN`T PERFORMED PROPERLY,You should have waterproofing turned up the wall 6" behind any step flashing(at wall,and chimney perimeter),definitely a problem with the flashing details,but your picture is nowhere near what we`d like to see,perhaps a shot of the roof area ,facing the chimney,and the suspect wall

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: