Should I Add an Additional Leader?

Old 12-15-08, 01:23 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Should I Add an Additional Leader?

I have a two story 50 yr old colonial where I am trying to decide if I should add an additional leader on the the back 2nd story roof. The original 2nd story back roof only came with one leader, while the front 2nd story roof already has two leaders. The roof is 28 feet long. The rear roof gutter has pulled away from the fascia board and needs to be repaired also. Is there a guideline for roof size and length for adding leaders? If the 2nd leader added it with drain on the 1st story roof near a chimney and skylight. how should it be diverted away?

Last edited by edge10; 12-15-08 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 04:51 AM
if the rafter(up/down)run is only 16-18 ft on a walkable roof pitch,one leader is fine,typically we start adding leaders after the 35 ft. mark,,,although you need regular gutter cleaning,and your gutters should be secured with screwed brackets rather than spikes/ferrules(big nails/sleeve) which tend to loosen up,and lead to water getting behind the gutter causing those problems--you should also have roof edge metal that goes behind the gutter as flashing to eliminate that problem

Old 12-16-08, 08:42 AM
E
The roof is about the size you mention for one leader. The house is 25 ft deep with a shallow pitch roof, but I'm not sure of the exact pitch.

I tried securing the gutter with the brackets at every rafter tail, but it would not pull tight to the fascia board even after I removed the spikes. I think the fascia board nails pulled out and will not drive in. I tried to hammering them back in with a wood block against the back of the gutter. Can the soffit siding be removed, the nails cut from between the gutter and fascia? Or does the gutter need to be removed, the fascia board re-nailed and then the gutter re-hang?

I plan to have sheet metal gutter guards with slat openings re-installed the on this rear gutter. They were removed and not replaced during the last service. The guards seem to help prevent clogs in the other gutters and extend the cleaning interval. Are the guards a good idea or do they cause other problems such as allowing the water to run over miss the gutter (see below)?

Lastly, the front 2nd story gutter drips water at the gutter bottom, but it is hard to see from where. The two leaders flow water. The soil below is washed away at the roof drip line. This has sheet metal gutter guards with slat openings and does not use brackets to secure the gutter. Is there a problem?

Old 12-16-08, 11:43 PM
gutter needs to be removed, the fascia board re-nailed ,and then the gutter re-hung,the slotted gutter guards are known for water run off,typically debris filters thru them,and makes your gutter cleaning more work when it has to be done,you should look into gutter covering products that shed debris,and keep the water flowing into your gutters--E-Z SHIELD,GUTTER TOPPER,ETC--JUST REMEMBER THE SUCESS.FAILURE OF THESE PRODUCTS DEPENDS MAINLY ON A QUALITY INSTALLATION so make sure you do your homework when you check out your contractor,and go see/talk to some past customers to see if the product is right for you
the water on the gutter bottom is more than likely from water that shoots past the slats---it`s good to have something that keeps crap out of the gutter,but it`s imperative that the water goes into the gutter as well instead of going past it

Last edited by the roofing god; 12-16-08 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-17-08, 12:04 AM
T
Another quick fix is to insert a strip of metal beneath edge of shingles to direct water into gutters rather than behind. If shingles are properly installed with drip edge and gutter properly sized for roof size and slope and properly installed, then there tends to be no problems

Old 12-18-08, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Another quick fix is to insert a strip of metal beneath edge of shingles to direct water into gutters rather than behind. If shingles are properly installed with drip edge and gutter properly sized for roof size and slope and properly installed, then there tends to be no problems
better to fix it right the 1st time,and not have something to worry about later--that would be something to do until it`s ok outside to fix it properly