Ice dam because no sofit

Old 12-18-08, 11:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice dam because no sofit

I need to replace my roof and change the venting. I have a gabled roof (frt to bk) ranch and no sofit on the back and insufficient venting for the sq ftage. The back eaves ice up and cause dams that have caused leaks so i want to rectify this as part of the roof replacement. One of the contractors suggested a vent that installs on the facia board. He would install this with a ridge vent to provide adequate total venting. Can anyone tell me the correct name of this facia mounted vent (pdt name, mft name) and if this solution is the best way to resolve this issue. Also, the gutters would be removed to install this vent on the facia board. Can they be replaced or must I leave them off?

Thanks

Old 12-18-08, 01:24 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi lewis, do a search on "fascia ventilation" and you will find some reading that will probably answer your immediate questions. The other issue you should address is the excess heat itself. Air sealing and extra insulation can eliminate much of the problem, with the added benefit of reducing your heating costs. Nice when something you do pays you back.

You're in cold country, so lots of insulation is always good. Do you know what is up there now, fiberglass or what. Is your roof bad and needs replacing anyway or are you replacing it just to solve the ice dam problem. If the roof is in good shape, there may be a better and less expensive solution.

Let us know,
Bud

Old 12-18-08, 05:54 PM
D
Fascia vent by DCI products is one.

Other than a large project involving re building the soffit to include an overhang this should work fairly well.

The vent goes behind the gutter and the gutter can be re installed. You should place a layer( 3' )of ice and water shield on the lower edge of the roof after installing the vent, but before the gutter. Run the ice and water down the face of the vent about 3 inches.

Some information on ice dam leaks

Old 12-19-08, 10:53 AM
C
Ice dam thanks

dennism:
Thank you for the pdt reference. The info at DCI products web site clearly explains how the system works.

Bud9051:
Thank you for asking the question about the amount of insulation. I'll have to check to see how much we have and if it is well distributed. It's blown in, not blanket, so we may need to add or at least rake it around to make sure it's an even depth out to the eaves.

Old 12-19-08, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ice dam because no sofit

Depending on the age of your house, you may have blocking over the top plate that closes off the and makes the vents (fascia or soffit) ineffective.

Since you will probably do a tear-off to install the water and ice, you may also find some bad sheathing. If so, you can easily correct the venting by removing the blocking and installing foam chutes to prevent the insulation from closing off the ventilation.

I had a similar situation on my house in the lower upper part of Michigan. That is why you see so many roofs with metal slide sheets to stop any buildup in that area. In my case, it was complete tear off so the correction was easier.

Dick

Old 12-19-08, 01:33 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Since you have blown in insulation and no soffit vents, it is likely the blown-in has filled in the area you will need for your ventillation. Same issue Dick was talking about with the blocking. Somehow you will need an inch or two between your insulation and the bottom of the roof for air flow.

And, depending upon the type of blown-in insulation, be careful raking it around as it usually reduces it's effectiveness. If you decide to add more, get your air path open, venting in, foam chutes in place and blow-in cellulose over what is there.

GL
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: