Water Leaks from roof over new Bay Window

Old 12-22-08, 06:35 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Leaks from roof over new Bay Window

With the first decent snow in Boston this weekend I am taking in significant water from the roof over my new Anderson Bay Window.

Although there is ice on the roof, it is not a significant ice dam in the gutter.

It's a vaulted or cathedral ceiling inside and the leaks began about 4 feet up the ceiling directly below the point where the new roof meets the old roof- Big mess in the freshly painted room.

The most frustrating thing is that we didn't have a drop of water enter the ceiling for 5 winters with the original bay window and roofing, but now with the new install we are hosed.

I see what I believe to be soffit vents along the roofline until the bay window and then it looks like the bay window just joins the vents but has zero overhang, just the facia and gutter. (Not sure how these work given the cathedral ceiling here with no attic in the salt box).

I wonder if I have to have this entire facia set up rebuilt as well as the roof ripped off to ensure there is sufficient venting as well as ice and shield up at least 6 feet?

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 12-26-08, 06:14 AM
Depending on pitch ,you may need to ice shield entire area,also as you know the lack of insulation problem is 1st

Old 12-26-08, 07:34 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Despite your difficulties, good morning and happy holidays. It sure does sound like the construction coincides with the problem, you may want to get your insurance co on board and see what the contractor will do for you. With the cathedral ceiling, it is doubtful this would be a DIY project.

Do you have any recessed lights in that ceiling?

Ice dams can be deceptive and can occur several feet up the roof. Take before pictures for contractor and Insurance, but you can get someone in to remove that snow. You could post some pictures for us as well. Photobucket.com is one place u can use.

Condensation is another issue if there is any path for warm air to leak up into that ceiling, i.e. the recessed lights, around the new window trim, and others.

I'll watch 4 your reply.

Bud

Old 01-02-09, 05:19 PM
W
Thanks and follow up

Thanks for your time and insight guys.

That someone to remove the snow is myself but it's the south side of a saltbox that comes down to first floor on the back and has some ice almost always even if not a dam from the gutters up.

The kids bedrooms are on the upstairs back and there are crawlspace attics that I got into. These areas are next to the cathedral over the bay window that runs up the whole back of the house and I found that the contractor had blocked in the soffit vent near the bay window where they installed a new slider as well.

I got all the wet insulation (and mouse droppings!) out of there, ripped the plywood floor and put in R 38 on the floor of the crawlspaces, and removed the insulation that was in the roof line itself hoping to keep it cold.

I also had 4 spagetti pots catching drips in this area seemingly directly under where they had nailed their staging into the roof when they re-shingled and trimmed my two back dormers. No clue how to fix those leaks other than re-roofing the back side of the house!

Problem over the bay is that I can't access it from inside given it is the open cathedral ceiling.

I have the contractor coming back Monday and am going to point out that I did have a continuous soffit vent but post-install there is now zero ventilation around the new bay and no overhang at all just T Drip and roof right above the window.

Not sure how he is going to deal with the roof given we just got a bit more snow in Mass.

I will post the pictures asap and really appreciate your time to help, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: