Patio Cover Roof; requesting expertise

Old 12-27-08, 12:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Cover Roof; requesting expertise

Hello,

I currently have a Patio cover in place but it isn't roofed. Basically when it rains everything under it is soaked. I am requesting any expertise on how to properly it roof it

I figure toss some lumber up on the roof and nail it down then toss some shingles up? The problem I think will have is that the roof will collect water as there is no angle from the roof to the patio (see 2nd photo)

The Patio; as you can tell after a rain all my furniture is soaked which kind is a pain in the butt.

I appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 01:28 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In most locations, when you put a permanent roof over a deck or patio, a new set of building code and zoning requirements kicks in, so step one is to check with your local AHJ to see what's required.

In then meantime, the current structure is suspect, for example:

1) How is that "ledger" attached to the rafter tails? Or, is it just nailed to the fascia?

2) Are those joist hangers listed for exterior use?

3) Really not does not matter, as they are the wrong hangers, should be something like these.

4) Most places I inspect, diagonal bracing would be required for the posts.

5) Looks to me like the pitch of the existing structure is essentially flat, you will either need to built it up to at least 3/12 or use a roofing membrane designed for low-slope applications.

6) In either case it likely will be to heavy to be properly supported by the exiting structure - even without considering snow load (if you live here it snows).

Sorry to mention all this, but if that's roofed as it stands its quite possible it will come down on someone's head - wet snow can weigh 60 lbs/cu/ft, if that structure is 8x10' that's 3,200 lbs for the 8" of wet snow we got here last week without counting the weight of the roofing materials.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-27-08 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 09:52 AM
new roof structure use the old girder,and this time ,cut into the roof above,use larger beams that will rest,and be secured on the cap plate of the existing bearing wall,and secured to the upper roof rafters as well