Tear off or go over.

Old 01-03-09, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tear off or go over.

It's time for a new roof on my house. Currently, the house has only one layer of shingles. I've heard different stories on whether to tear off the old shingles and apply new paper and new shingles or just put another layer of shingles over my current ones. Of course the later would save me some cash but is this a bad thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 01:53 PM
Tear it off. Unless you want to do it again in 6-8 years.
And you'll be able to inspect the deck and flashings. Replace as necessary.

Old 01-06-09, 09:30 AM
Your question is a little broad, but I thought that I'd throw in my two cents.

Because installing a second layer over the first voids most manufacturers warranties, it's obviously not recommended and I'm sure that most people would say that if you have the means to do a tear-off, then that's how you should proceed.

But with that said, I'm not a pro, but I've seen lots of houses with two layers and though it'd probably start to look somewhat crappy after a few years, depending on your climate, your installation and the actual shingles involved, it could also function and appear fine for a number of years.

The best thing to do would be a tear-off and a thorough going-over, as tinner suggested, especially if you have the means. It'd be the longest-lasting, fully-warrantied method that would allow you to choose from the widest variety of shingles, but if money's tight or if you're just wanting to throw something quick and inexpensive up there to tide you over, then there's nothing really wrong with double layering.

It's just not the recommended thing to do.

Good Luck

Old 01-12-09, 02:55 AM
a 2nd layer is like a paint job,no more,no less---you should remove the old roof 1st,In most cases,a 2nd layer roof closes off roof breathability,and when it`s time to replace,you end up with quite a bit,if not all the decking underneath the roof in need of replacement,which is more expensive still-better to rip it off,and put a proper roof back,with the proper system