Dual pitch roof

Old 01-15-09, 01:10 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dual pitch roof

I'm re-roofing my garage which has a 9' kitchen and bath addition on the back so that at one time it was a one car garage with a mother in-law apt. The pitch of the main garage is 4:12, but the addition was built with only a 2:12 pitch tin roof to give more head room since if you kept it at 4:12 you would only have 4' from floor to ceiling or so.

I want to increase the pitch as much as I can without spending a fortune. I calculate that I can get to a 3.6:12 if I run from the ridge on the main garage to the top plate on the addition. But that would be about a 23' span and too much money.

So I am thinking of tying in with 14' 2x6's to about 1/2 way up the main building to achieve roughly 3:12. What would be the best method of attaching the new rafters since the angles are so close?

Thanks for you help

Old 01-15-09, 03:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I won't get into loads, etc. Assuming that's safe to do, use a 2x 12" or two 2x6" as the tie-in plate. The 2x6's can be spread apart for best bearing surface. Nail them into existing rafters across the roof to spread the laod. Allow for the thickness in the tie-in. Cut a 45 on the plywood, or planks so the juncture is tight without any gaps over 3/8" across the roof.

THe rafters will have a LOOOONNGGGggg cut on them to match the pitch/tie-in. That's the reason two 2x6's may be best for a plate. Set the upper one, cut arafter that fits, then set the lower one near the bottom of the rafter cut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: