Gutter Replacement Price

Old 01-17-09, 10:50 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter Replacement Price

I am currently having my roof replaced. While the roofer was pulling off the old roof, he mentioned that the present gutter was rusted and falling apart (after my inspection, this seems to be the case). He said he could replace all the gutters and down spouts with new aluminium ones for approximately $3K. As I am right in the middle of this job, I don't feel comfortable having other contractors estimating while my roofing contractor is still working.
I realize it will vary greatly by lineal footage of gutter, but for an approximate size house of 1,750 sq. ft., does this seem to be about right? Thanks.

Old 01-17-09, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
$3k seems high to me, unless this is a complicated roof layout that would take a lot of up and down the ladders and such. It would absolutely be great to have him do it at the same time, but that seems kinda high. Does he also do siding? I'm more used to having siding guys that do gutters, but thats just where I lived. He may be subcontracting if it's not a regular thing for him, then you'll be paying 2 profit margins.

2 story? Single story? What kind of guttering will he be doing? Seamless aluminum? Materials costs have gone up.

EDIT: Forgot to ask your location...that can also make a big difference.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-17-09 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 11:17 AM
E
It is a two story house and he said it would be a seamless system. I am in San Francisco, so I am used to higher prices. As for complicated, it does not seem to be. My general thoughts were about half his estimate.
Is it possible that since he is a roofer he would charge more?

Old 01-17-09, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sorry, added a couple of things to my post as you were posting.

Ask him for a written quote with lineal feet and specs, then call around. Some guys just figure "hey, I'm here, they'll just let me do it for more$$."

Old 01-17-09, 11:35 AM
E
Good Stuff - thanks for the fast response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: