So what do metal roofs really cost?

Old 01-17-09, 04:06 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So what do metal roofs really cost?

We are looking at building but have never dealt with metal roofs. Getting any sort of price info is worse than pulling teeth. Anyone here had one put on or sell them? I know they are more expensive than typical roofing materials, but thats as far as I can get. Even a ballpark price (for the midwest) would be a big help.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-09, 04:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
we have been reaserching building for a couple of years and the estimate we got from (Mueller) i think was their name was almost 30K for only about 3135 square foot of roofing. I think metal roofing is way over priced considering how easy it is to manufacture it.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-17-09, 06:55 PM
T
Originally Posted by Speedwrench
we have been reaserching building for a couple of years and the estimate we got from (Mueller) i think was their name was almost 30K for only about 3135 square foot of roofing. I think metal roofing is way over priced considering how easy it is to manufacture it.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies
man that is a lot of cash for a roof regardless of if it lasts 50 years. It says you live in Oklahoma, I assume that was there? It looks deceptively easy to put on, I wonder if it's the product or the labor that is the expensive part? Did they give you a breakdown on the labor and materials in your quote? Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-17-09, 06:59 PM
yes it was for here in Norman, the materials was about 23K if i remember correctly.
i just about dropped my jaw when he gave me that quote.

i was married by a judge, should have had a jury "Groucho Marx"

Old 01-17-09, 07:42 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

I replaced my composition roof with metal about 5 years ago. I contacted several roofing contractors and only got a reply from one. His quote was $13,000. I bought the metal from a supplier and did the labor myself at a cost for material of $3,300. My house had two layers of shingles which I removed and the city hauled them away. Actually the only cash cost was for material.

Old 01-19-09, 02:31 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Like any roofing project the biggest cost is in the extras and installation. a straight roof and ridge is cheap. But add in a few dormers, a chimney, different levels roofs and the cost goes up for flashings, pipe caps and other stuff. The pitch of the roof also could add to the cost as they would have to take more safety precautions.

Old 01-20-09, 07:39 PM
it really depends on the type of metal,corrugated galvalume is very cheap,and surface screwed ,so labor is less intensive----At prices more like the 30,000$ for 32 sq. price,the standing seam roofs require quite a bit of work,and aren`t for most DIY`ers 1st venture---another important factor to consider is the gauge of material used,the thicker guages .024 are better to avoid "oilcanning"/warping of panels,,with kynar type finishes also cost more

Last edited by the roofing god; 01-20-09 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: