OVER roof hurricane straps.

Old 01-21-09, 06:39 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a certain type of hurricane strap and can't seem to locate it. I don't mean the kind that are just at the rafter/joist marriage. I want a strap that can be imbedded in an ICF wall, then go all the way over the roof (on top of the decking) and then be covered by the roofing material. I always called it plumbers strapping, but the stuff I find these days in the home stores is only 3/4 of an inch wide and just a few feet long. I am having a very hard time finding what I am looking for. I want this to be part of the home when being built and not an aftermarket thing.

this seems like it should be an easy thing to find (at least the materials part of it) and something I could easily DIY.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy a package like this or buy the materials to do this? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-21-09, 06:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Have you checked Simpson Strong Tie?
Connectors by Category

Old 01-21-09, 07:31 PM
i know what you are talking about but come to think about it i haven't seen it in quite a while. used to be used to tie the frame of houses to the foundation came in rolls of about 100 ft if i remember correctly.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 01-22-09, 06:40 AM
How are you going to attach the roof after covering the deck with steel?

If you're building, Bolt the plate and band to the foundation, use Simpson brackets to attach every other stud, and every other top plate to studs, and rafters to top plates. Screw the deck down.

Then install a standing seam metal roof with cleats screwed every 10", locked to dripedges on rakes and eaves.

Old 01-22-09, 06:56 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 01-22-09, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

That strap method may not be code approved for huricane construction.

If you have ICF forms from one of the better companies, I am sure you will have some good recommendations on their site. The method of embedment is very important.

If you are trying to build to the optional high standards to get the huge insurance discounts, just meeting the code is not good enough.

Old 01-22-09, 11:25 AM
T
Originally Posted by Pulpo
Have you checked Simpson Strong Tie?
Connectors by Category
Nope but I will now. Thanks!

Old 01-22-09, 11:28 AM
T
Originally Posted by tinner666
How are you going to attach the roof after covering the deck with steel?

If you're building, Bolt the plate and band to the foundation, use Simpson brackets to attach every other stud, and every other top plate to studs, and rafters to top plates. Screw the deck down.

Then install a standing seam metal roof with cleats screwed every 10", locked to dripedges on rakes and eaves.
I won't be covering the roof with steel. I am just looking to add metal bands every 4-6 feet that wrap over the decking before the final roof material is installed. Screwing or nailing thru those bands won't be an issue.

Old 01-22-09, 11:32 AM
T
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
That strap method may not be code approved for huricane construction.

If you have ICF forms from one of the better companies, I am sure you will have some good recommendations on their site. The method of embedment is very important.

If you are trying to build to the optional high standards to get the huge insurance discounts, just meeting the code is not good enough.
I'm in the midwest so this is more for tornado protection that hurricanes and I am out in the county so the code isn't an issue here.

Old 01-22-09, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The code is just a minimum for general reference even it is not in effect or required. You you probably need to go beyond if you want to do it right.

You are probably concerned with tornados, which totally dwarf hurricanes in terms of wind speed and uplift pressures. Designing/building to resist a direct tornado is fruitless, but can be done for near misses of something less the F4 storms.

Sometimes it is good to benfit from experience of what works instead of trying be a Thomas Edison (most of his inventions were flops and unusalble in the real world).

Dick

Old 01-27-09, 02:14 PM
I was recently looking for installation instructions for columns I am placing on my portico and came across two types of Simpson connectors that you may want to investigate at http://www.turncraft.com/pdf/T-COLUMN04.pdf
The first type is a rod system anchored by epoxy. and the second a CMST anchored by bolts.
Another link is http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalog...-ATS07_p13.pdf that diagrams a rod system.
I have never use any of these rods or straps, though.
CharlieinBoston

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: