Best roof for portico?

Old 01-23-09, 12:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best roof for portico?

I am planning on adding a portico at my front and side entrances. I own a two story 15 year old colonial with bevel cedar board siding. The purpose of the portico is not only for weather protection for my visitors, but also to protect the doorways. (I just had to replace some trim and a threshold that had rotted, even though most of the trim and doors looked great. Everything now is painted and caulked, but the doorways are still directly expsosed to rain and snow.)
My biggest concern is that the roof of the portico will be abutting my cedar siding. Right now in Boston, I see all my neighbors have had at least a foot of snow on the roofs of their porticos for the last several weeks. I know that can't be good for the cedar siding, but I am also worried about water penetrating into the house.
Is there a "best" roof to minimize prolonged snow contact with the house?
That is, besides making a steep slope to the roof, are there other precautions I should take? Would a steep copper roof work better to let the snow slide off? How far up under the siding do I need to extend flashing or ice & water shield over my weatherproofing membrane? Is this a possible do-it-youself project, or it is there too high a likelihood of causing problems down the road? (I know I could do the framing, but I've never done any roofing.)
Thanks to all who reply.
-CharlieinBoston

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 05:36 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Charlie, Unless you're really good you are getting beyond the realm of DIY here. There are a lot of options and choices to be made and it would probably be a good idea to at least talk to a pro about your project. Siding has to be removed and serious flashing installed or you will have major problems down the road.