Flashing Leaks

Old 01-23-09, 12:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing Leaks

We often stay with my wife's eldest sister and her husband in their house in the Outer Hebrides. A few years ago they had an extension put on and it leaks round a velux window in the roof, the back porch and a bay window. Because of its location near the Gulf Stream the weather is wet and windy all year round.

What can be done about it and what wasn't done properly to begin with?

As its location is off the coast of Scotland, would it be cheaper and easier to source materials from the islands and if labour was needed, considering the situation, would it be better to get that from the mainland or hope to luck, if it couldn't be done by him, himself with help from friends?

Also because of the conditions, rain is driven under the doors - can anything be done about that? (In Norway apparently the doors open outwards to create a better seal - can anything similar in design be sourced for such a problem in the UK?

Last edited by paigetheoracle; 01-23-09 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Missed a point
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 05:25 PM
C
Wow, Scotland. First of all, I'm assuming that your window in the roof is a Velux skylight? I feel very strongly that Velux skylights are one of the best products around. Their flashing kit is awesome. If any, and I repeat any, Velux skylight leaks it is because whoever installed it screwed up. We have installed probably 500 Velux units in the last 20 years and haven't had a problem yet.
If your sister in law has a Velux that leaks and other windows , etc, that leak, whoever installed these units doesn't know how to flash them and that is their problem, all defective flashing.

Old 01-25-09, 11:28 PM
the flashing could be the problem,or in those wind driven conditions,the water can be blowing into the flashings,which would mean that "whoever" didn`t install Ice ,and Water shield around the frame of the unit ,prior to flashing it