Anchoring for fall-arrest

Old 01-31-09, 11:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Anchoring for fall-arrest

Any suggestions for how to install a fall-arrest anchor on a shingled roof without compromising waterproofness? The anchor that came with my kit is a hinged AO Safety #4000"reusable roof bracket" intended to be screwed into roof framing members at the roof peak using 10 #8 screws. Using it will mean attaching it through the shingles.

I'd also be open to suggestions for permanent anchors, either attached to the roof peak or adjoining walls, since I'm up there every year or so either painting adjoining walls or installing/removing storm panels.

Old 01-31-09, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this for your private home or business?

If a business, or this is for "employees", you legally need to follow OSHA regulations, specifically 29 CFR 1926.

You need to follow strict manufacturers instructions. I would cut away the shingles, and install the permanent anchor points to proper structural members, then install the shingles over the anchor point. Installs like a typical roof vent.

I would not use screws either. Screws do not have a strong shear strength. Use 16d nails.

Old 02-01-09, 05:36 AM
S
Private home. The manufacturer's recommendations are as I stated them (including screws), except that they assume the roof is not covered, so there is nothing about installing it over shingles.

Old 02-01-09, 06:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just remove the shingles and place the anchor directly to the roof sheathing/structural members.

I wouldn't want to screw anything through the shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: