Soffit and rafter vents

Old 02-04-09, 03:46 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Soffit and rafter vents

Ok, so before i undertook the insulation blowing in my attic, i installed rafter vents between all the rafters

Recently it was pretty warm then got really cold, and massic ice dams formed

The top floor of my house is affected by the roof in that the ceiling height is affected by the slop of the roof, as shown in the illustration:

What is this type of roof or top floor called?

The rafters which have plaster or drywall underneath ( the sloped ceiling) had cellulose dense packed into them. I Removed some insulationg so that i could install the rafter vents and at the most got the end of vents about half way down the 3 1/2' covered rafter.

The soffits are currently solid wood, no venting at all. I am planning on installing round soffit vents as it would be easier than attempting to cut the rectangular holes in the soffit from underneath, on a ladder, 2 storys up.

when i cut the holes for the vents, should i stick my hand in and remove the insulation up to the bottom of the rafter vent?

Should there be any insulationg in the rafters period? If this is the case, i wouldnt have been able to remove it all anyways.

Thanks for all the help! This house has proven to be quite a handful!

Old 02-06-09, 09:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would suggest completely removing the cellulose insulation from between the rafters. (your straight red line) And make sure you have soffit ventilation.

Soffit Vents and Attic Ventilation

Then insulate the interior roof/ceiling angle. (new rafters,insulation,drywall) You will lose some interior space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: