Ventilation advise

Old 02-10-09, 04:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ventilation advise

Hi All

Hopefully someone can give me some advise on how to add some ventilation to my sun room roof.
Sun room is built on to the back of the main house and has a very shallow pitch. I think the joists are 2x6, but I haven't pulled the roof sheeting to know for sure. Drywall on the bottom and roof sheeting on the top with unknown insulation between. I had some ice problems this year so I'm going to be into a re-roof in the spring, but don't know how to get some venting installed
and what the best way to insulate would be.

Old 02-10-09, 04:52 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Two types of roofs, vented and unvented. I usually prefer vented as they are tried and true, but sometimes it just isn't possible. To vent you need a good inlet and a good outlet. If you have cross bracing which might be associated with a sun room, then full venting may be difficult. If you have 2x6's then insulation is less than desired. And ice problems are unually a combination of venting and insulation.

The unvented option would be to blow in or foam in and fill the cavity completely full. I would prefer foam on a roof as you will get a better insulation value and a complete seal. If there is some insulation already in there, talk to a contractor as sometimes they can still install the foam as it will simply compress the fiberglass out of the way.

Removing the snow before the ice forms is always the best approach.

Bud

Old 02-10-09, 05:14 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051
The unvented option would be to blow in or foam in and fill the cavity completely full. I would prefer foam on a roof as you will get a better insulation value and a complete seal. If there is some insulation already in there, talk to a contractor as sometimes they can still install the foam as it will simply compress the fiberglass out of the way.
Removing the snow before the ice forms is always the best approach.

Bud
I was thinking of having it foamed full and then reroofing with ice and water shield under the shingles.

I had to go to 5 stores to find a roof rake

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: