Reroof vs. Tear off

Old 02-10-09, 07:05 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reroof vs. Tear off

Hello, I posted something similar to this a while back, but I have some more info now.

Basically, I am working with two rental homes- both in need of major overhaul in almost every area. Priority #1 is two new roof ASAP. I would love to do these myself, but I need them done quick, so I am going to hire them out. Each roof has one layer of asphalt on top of cedar shake, on top of 1x8 roof decking (with app. 2 inch spaces in some areas - ughh!)

I have been on the fence about a complete tearoff, redeck with OSB and reshingle vs. just a reshingle. It is permissible by code in my area to reshingle on top of this situation. The roofs are appx. 6/12 pitch, so they are fairly steep and don't hold a lot of snow, etc.

I have it down to two options - reshingle with dimensional shingles for $4k total, vs. tear-off, resheet with OSB and reshingle with dimensional shingles for $11k. If money were no object, I would tear off and start with a clean slate and sleep well. But the units are not in great shape and cash is a premium for me (even with me doing most of the work)- so I am seriously considering the reshingle for $4k.

My question is- what is a realistic timeframe that each of these situations will last? Can I get 10 years out of a reshingle? 15 years?

How about a complete tear off? The bottom line is that with a reshingle only, I can afford to do a lot more, like wrap the window trim and fascia in aluminum, etc. which will make the house look a lot better and much easier to rent.

Any thoughts? I know I am prolonging the inevitable, but if I can get 15 years out of a reshingle only, i think I need to do it. I can tearoff in 15 years, when hopefully I have more money.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys

Old 02-11-09, 11:20 AM
I see a few re-roofs make it 3-4 years.

Old 02-11-09, 11:39 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to be on the safe side. if you have not done so, I would verify with your local building department that you can re-cover these roofs, IRC 907 prohibits re-covering if there are two or more applications of any type(s) of roof covering.

Old 02-11-09, 11:56 AM
C
Originally Posted by tinner666
I see a few re-roofs make it 3-4 years.
Tinner,
I guess that depends on the climate, insulation, proper soffit venting, etc. I live in an older house where the 2nd layer lasted the 25 years I owned + who knows how many years before that.

Old 02-11-09, 01:43 PM
D
Oh, the things we do for short term gain.

How about selling one of the properties and make the other livable?

Old 02-11-09, 02:41 PM
N
Man- thanks for all the help guys. I can see that the general inclination is to do it well, but don't forget what business means. I wish I had deep pockets and could do everything superbly- or maybe I don't. Which would be smarter business?

Local code permits this, and I too have seen some last quite a while. I appreciate the feedback on venting, insulation, and soffits- that will certainly be something I can look into to help prolong the recover.

As I said, the roofs are also steeply pitched. The contractor said he would put a 10 year guaruntee on the recover, and a 15 year guaruntee on the tear, resheet and recover.

Any thoughts on the potential things that could cause just the recover to fail sooner rather than hold up decent?

Thanks

Old 02-11-09, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Heat..heat..heat...venting is key. As well as flashing where required. Won't help to have a 10 yr warranty on the re-roof if the sheathing rots out due to moisture penetration.

I have a second layer here in AZ (prior owner) and its been up since '96. Still in good shape. They actually did a pretty durn good job. New drip edge, extra staples, good overhang all around, and some new flashing.

Not what I would have done, but its ok so far.

Old 02-11-09, 03:40 PM
N
That helps a lot. Thanks- I can easily make sure the venting is up to snuff. Flashing too.

I don't think the decking will leak, I mean laying shingles is not rocket science. From the 10-12 roofs I have done myself, the key seems to be the little things like flashing chimneys, and ice/water sheild near the edges, etc. I am in Michigan, so that is a biggie.

I am leaning on rolling the dice on the reshingle though. I can probably afford to do windows also in this scenario, which will increase the value of the home more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: