a question about homeowners insurance

Old 02-11-09, 12:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a question about homeowners insurance

Abuut 3 years ago a large spring time storm came through our area and tore up my roof pretty good. My homeowners insurance came out and cut me a check (minus the deductable) for a new roof. The check didnt even come close to covering the cost of a total roof replacement so I hired a good friend of mine that spent 15 years as a roofer to do the job. He stripped off the old shingles and put new on. He did everything over the main house but didnt do the garage or the front portch. (there was no damage on these areas and they were in great shape, we had a total roof replacement done just 4 years prior) Now due to a huge ice storm followed by a wild wind storm we need another roof. I am afraid to contact the insurance company because they paid for a total roof replacement but we didnt do one. The front portch is still fine but the garage is now messed up along with lots of the new stuff as well. Is it safe to contact the insurance company or will they charge me with insurance fraud? Can they even climb up there and tell whats new and whats not? It all looks the same.

Old 02-11-09, 01:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your insurance company obviously never intended to pay to re-roof your entire house. Why would they? Homeowners insurance is in place to cover damage that occurs to your residence. If several windows in your place were wrecked in a storm would you expect your carrier to pay to replace all the windows in your house? Same logic. Call your agent to come back out.

Old 02-11-09, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
And be prepared for either a large increase (if it hasn't happened sometime recently) or a complete cancellation of your policy.

Yes, it can and does happen. Just like your car..make 2 or 3 claims in a few years, and you become a higher risk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: