is it too early to replace my roof?

Old 03-08-09, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is it too early to replace my roof?

I'm right outside of DC, and I'm ready to hire a roofing contractor to replace my roof.

is it too early (cold) to replace the roof?

the contractor says they work year round and as long as its 40 and above it OK.

should i wait a couple weeks?
any help would be greatly appreciated

JC

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-09, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just my opinion...but it sounds right to me. You may even be getting a better price by not waiting til spring.

They put roofs on up in CA even when its much colder, there are just special precautions then.

I'd be more concerned about rain and snow than temp.

Old 03-08-09, 02:10 PM
I have seen roofers working in northern ontario in january when it was colder than -10 C (5F). They kept the shingles in the cab of their truck which was running all day with the heat on high to keep the shingles from getting too brittle for when they did the cap.

There is no such thing as "too cold" for a clever roofer. I'm sure the work would be easier on a warmer day. I don't know about your climate, but I think this is the perfect time of year for getting your roof done, before the demand is too high

Old 03-09-09, 10:00 AM
As suggested by my rehabber adviser; be sure to include in the contract that they the roofer are responsible for all weather related damaged. That way they wont stall around and they will cover exposed work for the night. Get a few good bids, there is A LOT of guys out of work right now and they are willing to travel for a pay check. This is a good opportunity for home owners with the money on hand to get repairs/improvements done at a good price.

Old 03-10-09, 03:47 PM
We shovel off roofs up here to roof them. you will be fine; you have all summer for them to seal up. I wouldnt let them tare off anymore than they can put back on in the same day.
As for the last guys comment! you really dont want "OUT OF WORK" guys doing your roof, make sure they are close and have been in business 3 plus years. you might save a buck but in the end it will cost you!

Old 03-10-09, 07:37 PM
thanks to everyone for their response.......it was very helpful