Flat roof replacement question

Old 03-14-09, 08:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flat roof replacement question

My uncle who has been a roofer for over 20 years agreed to replace/repair my flat roof at a price we can afford but he states that the wood does not need to be replaced. He is going to ripe off the gravel and replace with 3 ply minus the gravel and a silver coating. He is not working with his employer but rather a group of his co-workers so no warranty but he states he will come back if there are any problems at no cost. Most of our family and friends have had him do their roof repairs and replacements with no complaints.

My concern is that my roof has been leaking for over two years. I'm afraid of rot and mold issues. We do have water stains here in there on our ceilings. I don't want a new roof on top of rotting wood.

I know he does a good job and I trust him but I'm just not sure if he is taking the cheap route to save us money since we have very little to spend.

Should I be concerned? I'm hoping that if he pulls off the gravel and old stuff and sees any rot he would probably let me know.

We are using our income tax money to fix our roof and can't afford to replace with a company and there is no way i'm going through another year with buckets.

Hope I can get some advice.

Thank you,
Melissa

Old 03-16-09, 08:22 AM
X
It depends how much water has gone through and stayed in the wood. It has to be seen.

As for the tar and silver coating, have you considered using a membrane?

Old 03-19-09, 06:42 PM
A
We have considered using a membrane (1st choice) but we just can't afford it. We have had several roofers come out and my uncle is the cheapest and only route we can afford.

My uncle stated he will be removing the old stuff one day and installing the new stuff the next day. That will give me a chance to go up and inspect the roof once everything is removed. What should I be looking for as far as damaged/rotted wood? Any other damage I should look out for?

I do recall seeing pooling in some areas with the last rainfall.

I'm sure there is some damage because our ceilings are damaged inside. A couple of rooms have shagging ceiling and stains.

Thanks!
Melissa

Old 03-19-09, 11:38 PM
R
Originally Posted by audi12
That will give me a chance to go up and inspect the roof once everything is removed. What should I be looking for as far as damaged/rotted wood? Any other damage I should look out for?
I'm sure other people will have better recommendations, but as a general rule if I can grab a piece of wood with my bare hands and pull more than a few strands off (1/4") without much effort, I would replace the lumber. I have tied in (screwed a new piece in to an old piece) 2-3 feet after the rot ends in a low budget situation like yours.

It's difficult to tell you what exactly needs replacement without seeing the situation in person, but I think the "tear off" rule works in most situations. It isn't a long-term solution, but it will [usually] hold until the next time you need repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: