Attic Ventilation

Old 03-17-09, 07:58 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Ventilation

I am looking to increase (actually start) the ventilation in my attic. I have a 1970s home that has a very low pitched roof and the roof/shingles extend down over the 2nd floor of the house...I believe it's called Dutch Colonial style. In other words I have no soffit or gable venting because there is no soffit or gable to vent with the design of the house. Right now there is no ventilation at all in the attic and there is a tremendous temperature differential on the 2nd floor in summer because of the heat of the attic I believe.

Any recommendations on venting my roof without soffit or gable vents (also unable to do a ridge vent because its a duplex)? I considered an attic fan but I believe I'd need intake for air to make that work properly. Can I add a vent or two to the roof somehow to at least allow hot air to escape without an intake for cooler air?

Any suggesitons would be much appreciated...thanks.
Matt

Old 03-17-09, 08:38 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have been researching this topic for my home too, so I will share some URLs. I don't have the same roof as you though.
There are different recommendations for different climates.
Updating the unventilated attic by applying spray foam insulation to the underside of the roof and sealing the attic interior and any ductwork could be a solution for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: