Leaking Exterior Door

Old 03-23-09, 07:20 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Exterior Door

Hello,
We had our first rain of the year and low and behold we had more leaks in it. Our house is only about a year and half old and last year this door leaked and it ended up being the glass that sits in the center which does not seem to leak any longer. We figured that was the only leak. Last night while it was raining i noticed the carpet wet again. This time the rain seems to be coming in under the door. I don't know all the terminology for doors so bare with my attempts.

The water seems to be coming in from under the door frame. We have a rambler house and this is a patio door. (patio does not yet exist) and sits about 3 feet off of the ground. It is a south facing door and during the summer our winds and rain seem to drive hard into the south side.

When I go outside there is the aluminum ( I believe that is what it is) bottom plate that you can step on and there is about a 3/4" gap under it that is exposed. It seems unlikely that the rain would be getting in through this narrow slit but do you think this could be possible? Any other ideas as to how it could be getting in?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-23-09, 06:39 PM
Sounds like the sill pan was left out. Wouldn't doubt the window/door flashing was left out too.

Old 03-24-09, 07:59 AM
I'd agree that the door doesn't seem to have been properly sealed up at the time of construction. Since you mentioned the home was just a yr old, I would be contacting my builder with a complaint about this. Otherwise what you may end up doing is tearing off siding, trim etc in order to get to the root of the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: