control downspout run-off

Old 03-23-09, 10:20 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
control downspout run-off

I have a perimeter drain running around the base of my foundation and thought I could tie my downspouts into it. After doing some reading, perhaps that's not such a good idea. My existing perimeter drain runs to newly dug large capacity farm drain and then 1000' to sunlight. What is the problem with the storm water going into the perimeter and how else can I eliminate the roof run-off?

Thanks, Eric

Old 03-24-09, 08:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You can install a dry well & extend the downspout undergound, if you don't want to connect it to the perometer drain.

Old 03-24-09, 10:29 PM
R
As far as groundwater is concerned, "eliminating" your downspout runoff isn't always your best option, espcially when in a heavily populated area. As long as it isn't affecting your neighbours and your foundation drainage, is it a big problem to run this water 5 - 10 feet from your house?

I don't fully understand the reasoning why, but I had a very wise (old) construction teacher tell me that draining in to a storm sewer is usually not ideal, basically because the water falls where it will, and to try to control it too much will only give you trouble.

Rather than try to find a difficult and possibly expensive solution, why not just buy a few feet of aluminum or weeper and push the runoff far enough from your house so it's not an issue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: