can you help me bid this job?

Old 03-24-09, 01:23 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can you help me bid this job?

i am trying to bid a job for a family friend and want to be fair with the price. he would like to do a fake slate. but i know the pricing for that will be up there. i have done 3 round roofs before and was paid by the hour for shingling the round part of the job. this customer would like a firm price on the porch roof and another on the round roof. i would like to give him a price for asphalt and the composite slate. (what do they get for a square of just composite slate now? it was $360 a square last time i bought it)

thanks for any input.

here is a few pics of the job (the porch is just under 4 sq. it will get new plywood, ice and water the whole thing and flashing up the house. the round part is 10 foot at the bottom and 14-16 tall)

Old 03-25-09, 07:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Wow, that's some roof!! Since it's almost impossibe to give an exact price on the materials, don't guess. Let the supply house calculate it. Give him a labor price for the entire job and let him go with you to the supply house to buy the materials as needed. That way the money for the materials never passes through your hands and if the estimate is wrong, it's not your problem. In other words, explain to him that you can only guarantee a firm price on the labor.

If you need a dumpster, mention that too.

Old 03-25-09, 07:49 AM
W
thanks Puplo keep in mind it is only the front porch and the round roof to the right that needs to be done for now. the main thing i need to know is what would be a fair price for the round roof? Thanks

Old 03-25-09, 02:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That makes it easier but I would still only give a labor price. Calculate how many days it will take. Multiply it by how much you want per day. How many helpers will work with you?

Old 03-25-09, 03:18 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
One issue I have run into is folks requesting roof work to resolve water leaks or ice problems they fail to mention, when the roof is not the real problem. But it will be when the leak (really condensation) or ice returns. CYA

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: