question about shingles and new roof

Old 03-26-09, 09:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
question about shingles and new roof

Due to severe hail damage, I need a new roof. My neighbor is a builder and has agreed to accept what the insurance pays to replace my roof. We currently have Lifetime warranty architectual shingles. The builder brought sample for me to select new shingles from Atlas and Timberline. Both are Architectural shingles. Atlas Pinnacle has a 35 yr. warranty and the Timberline he is recommending is a 30 yr. shingle. I took off a sample of my existing shingle and it is 2 1/2 times thicker than the samples. Does this matter? My home is the most well insulated home I have ever seen. I never adjust or touch my themostat. Is this due to my shingles? If I place thinner shingles will this not affect energy efficiency? Please advise me. My spouse feels we should just take what he gives us and be thankful the insurance will cover the costs.

Old 03-29-09, 10:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In a typical home with an attic that has blown in or batt insulation, the shingles don't contribute at all to the insulation. The warm space ends at the ceiling of your finished area, and the attic is known as a cold zone. It would be wasteful to heat the attic space, instead this is intentionally kept cold and well vented, so the warm air escaping through your ceiling doesn't turn to condensation which would cause mold.

So short answer - no, your shingles have nothing to do with your insulation. They do have a designated R value, but it's very minimal and should have no impact on the efficiency of your home.

I'm not sure where the real roofers have gone from this forum, maybe one of them can explain why there is such a difference in thickness. I would have to imagine there's a good reason, but I just don't know what.

Old 03-29-09, 01:47 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 55 Posts
You say your shingles are Lifetime Warranty. Will the manufacturer not replace the damaged shingles? Maybe not the labor but the shingles themselves? Find out from the shingle manufacturer what is covered in their warranty.
They are twice as thick as the others because they need to be to have a lifetime warranty. But they still have some kind of limit, 100 year maybe?
Usually lifetime warranty stuff is twice the cost of regular so they cover the replacement cost ahead of time. And when people do not follow up and make them honor the warranty they end up money ahead! Check out the warranty on the shingles before you do anything. THEY MAY COVER EVERYTHING AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT NEED TO BE INVOLVED AT ALL. The only way to know is to ask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: