Angled Gutters need advice

Old 03-29-09, 08:08 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angled Gutters need advice

4 windows forming half an octagon. Each window has 5 foot sections of old leaky metal gutters above at roughly 45 degree angles. Took down old gutters.

Purchased PVC K gutter kit from E Gutter. E Gutter only has ninety degree connections. Need 45 degree connections.

How do I make 45 degree connections?

Can I make them out of dissimilar substrates?

Rainy season coming in El Paso

Old 03-31-09, 12:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I assume what you're talking about is a bow window, sort of like this one (if you ignore the top of it, where you're putting your gutters)

I thought about this for a while, and if you are determined to use the plastic PVC gutters, which are my mortal enemy, this is the way I would do it:

Carefully cut your first piece to fit around the window, trimming your mitres until they're as close to perfect as possible for the next piece.
Once you're satisfied you have a perfect mitre, you need a PVC solvent cement to join your hand cut corners. I've found that the best PVC solvents are used by electricians. It's usually clear, sets in seconds, and holds like crazy. After you've made your way around the window, you may need to do extra caulking to fill any gaps.

Personally I think this is a terrible solution and won't work for very long unless you really do a great job. I would opt instead for aluminum gutters and have a professional do the work around the angles. It's just too much for a DIY project to have something that looks good and is functional.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: